We all know we should drink more water. Everyone from your mom to Rachel Hollis is constantly touting the benefits of water. You know it’ll help you lose weight, you know it’ll clear up your skin. There are apps to remind us and fancy water bottles to motivate us and all we have to do is turn on the sink. Should be simple, right?
The thing is, most of the time it’s not. Most of us are still not drinking enough water every day because Diet Coke and coffee taste a whole lot better. But what if we could amplify our water so the sips we get mean more? What if we could drink water that does more for our bodies than ever before?
Good news friends, we can. Detox water gives you the hydration you need WITH an added boost to help your body (even if you don’t get in all 64 ounces).
What is Detox Water?
Detox water is not another sugary juice you overpay for in hopes of big promises. It is not designed to be a liquid diet. Detox water is infusing your water with fruit, vegetables, and herbs. It is designed to kick-start your metabolism, support your liver, and deliver nutrients in a way that both feels AND TASTES good.
What is the Purpose of Detox Water?
Water is an important part of your overall health. Because over half of your body is water, it is necessary for every bodily function you can imagine. It’s a huge part of your muscles, your organs, your hormones, and is critical for energy production.
Benefits of Detox Water: In addition to the benefits of regular water, detox water gives you so much more by boosting your everyday water with vitamins and minerals.
- Skin Health/Acne – You can spend hundreds on skincare, or you could just pick up a glass of water. Without adequate hydration, your hair and skin can never reach their full potential.
- Weight Loss –When you don’t have enough water, your body is less efficient at metabolizing fat, and the more water you drink, the better your kidneys and liver can perform to keep your body in the best condition. A natural side effect of detox water is reduced bloating and decreased water weight but it shouldn’t be used as your only weight-loss solution.
- Detox/Cleanse – The ingredients in detox water are designed to help your body cleanse itself in a healthy way. Increasing antioxidants activate the natural pathways the body uses to get toxins out of your system.
Detox Water Side Effects
Although there are so many great benefits there are a few side effects that you should be aware of.
- Acidity: Some of the ingredients may be high in citric acid, so if you have tooth sensitivity, drink through a straw or have a glass of regular water between detox drinks.
- Heartburn: This is a funny side effect because some people say it causes heartburn and others actually say it alleviates it. So, it’s one of those things you’ll have to monitor on your own.
- Restroom Visits: If you’re drinking more, you’ll be in the bathroom more. That’s just the facts of mother nature.
How to Detox With Water:
- When to drink it: Typically, you start the day with a fresh glass of detox water and continue to sip throughout the day. For optimal results, stick with detoxifying foods as well. This includes healthy fat, high-quality protein, fiber, antioxidant-rich berries and of course, eat your veggies.
- How long does it last: The results will last as long as you maintain the flush in your body. This is not a quick fix or a magic diet, but it does create results and keeps your body clear as long as you keep it up.
- How much water should you drink to detox: This is not a liquid-only strategy. All you need is 64 ounces of detox water per day (along with a healthy diet) to get real results. A good rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight in ounces daily. Too much can make your system work in overdrive and too little risks dehydration.
- How often should you drink detox water: In order to get 3-4 glasses in, you’ll need one about every few hours throughout the day.
Where to Buy Detox Water?
You can either choose to make your own homemade detox water (recipes will be shared below!) or you can buy some premade mixes.
This organic aloe vera infused prebiotic water contains ACTIValoe, one of nature’s most powerful superfoods and natural detoxifier. You can find it on Amazon here.
Every bottle of Detox Water contains the recommended amount of aloe, a powerful detox ingredient that’s clinically proven to promote immune, skin, and digestive health benefits. Other benefits of Detox Water include:
- It provides a variety of six flavors so you don’t get bored drinking the same thing.
- Each bottle is only 30 calories.
- Contains only 7g of sugar from all-natural, organic agave nectar and a trace of stevia.
- Convenient and easy to grab without measuring/mixing your own recipe.
Detox Water is safe for both adults and kids, one reviewer, Natalie totes how it has helped her daughter, “My daughter loves these. She has Crohn’s disease and the aloe water is just what she needs.”
Most reviewers agree this product is not cheap, but if you are interested in getting a healthy boost when you need it most, the ingredients and effectiveness are clear. Comes in other varieties but this Detox Water variety pack on Amazon allows you to try all the flavors and find your favorite flavor before ordering a whole case
Detox Water Bottles
Another option for incorporating detox water is to purchase a bottle that supports the ingredients you add at home. This is a great option if you want to travel with your DIY detox water drink easily. There are several popular detox water bottles on the market, these are the three we recommend:
Prodyne FI-3 Fruit Infusion Flavor Pitcher
Using an infusion pitcher allows you to mix your detox water in the morning and enjoy it throughout the day. There’s something about a clear, acrylic pitcher filled with colorful and beautiful water that makes you want to take a sip, right? This pitcher is exactly that.
You can get more information and buy now on Amazon.com.
- A hollow rod in the center of the pitcher that allows your ingredients to infuse the water as it sits.
- Also works great for lemon water, ice teas, or flavored lemonades in the summer.
- You can refill the water without replacing the fruit, which saves on ingredient costs.
- The pitcher is BPA, BPS, and BPF free.
The biggest complaint with this pitcher was cracking at the base. It is important to note that this product is not dishwasher safe and should always be washed by hand. If you follow this recommendation, the cracking is greatly reduced or even eliminated.
With over 2,000 reviews at an average of 4.5 stars, it’s easy to recommend this option for preparing your detox water. Get further details and buy now on Amazon.
SkinnyFit 24oz Detox Bottle
If you’re looking for something that is both durable and beautiful, this is the detox water bottle for you. It’s great for iced tea or juices as well, but the leakproof exterior makes it perfect for detoxing. You can see the bottle and buy now on Amazon.
- The bottle is made to be both shatter and impact resistant.
- Also resists odors so you get a fresh sip every time.
- Easy to hold or carry and fits into standard car cup holders to detox on the go!
The biggest benefit of this water bottle is the design. It’s super chic and picturesque with a very modern shape. Of course, some negative reviews toted the bottle as overpriced, but sometimes it’s worth it to pay a little more for something that is beautiful.
SkinnyFit also sells detox mixes that work perfectly in their water bottles. The SkinnyFit brand is a leader in this space, making it easy to recommend their water bottles for detox beginners or experts alike. You can get further details and buy now on Amazon.
Bevgo Fruit Infuser Water Bottle
Infuser water bottles were introduced to the United States by Bevgo. This is the original infuser water bottle and it’s been reinvented to be even better. The basket is designed to hold all your fruit, herbs, and vegetables securely while making it easier for the water to be infused.
- Simple flip top to make it easy to travel without spilling.
- The flat bottom infusion basket makes it easier to fill.
- Added timeline to show your water consumption throughout the day.
This is the bottle that has it all. It’s got the tracker, the infusion, the travel features, and the ease of use. There are over 2,500 reviews with an average of 4.5 stars. Clearly, this is the winner of the infusion water bottles, which makes it easy to recommend. You can get further details and buy now on Amazon.
How To Make Detox Water
Detox water doesn’t have to be complicated. Chances are, you already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen. There are several different recipes you can try to find the combination you like best. Most recipes will include several common ingredients:
- Distilled Water – This is not necessary, but is recommended because it has a neutral pH, and absolutely no impurities. I honestly recommend that you use filtered spring water from a good water filter.
- Lemons/Lemon Juice – Lemons help to kick start digestion and flush out toxins.
- Orange/Lime/Lemon/Grapefruit – Help to aid the immune system and provides antioxidants to protect the immune system.
- Berries – Blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries add antioxidants for health and fiber to keep you full.
- Watermelon – Helps lower blood pressure, improved insulin response, and alleviate muscle soreness
- Cucumbers – Cucumbers contain vitamins, flavonoids, and other healthy inflammation-fighting compounds but be sure to choose organic cucumbers only.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – A popular ingredient for numerous health benefits, and natural detoxifying properties.
- Aloe – Known for the skin, aloe is also ingestible to naturally increase energy and fight fatigue, while helping to increase circulation and digestion. You can also buy it by the bottle and add it.
- Mint – Helps to suppress the appetite, making it a great addition to any detox drink.
- Ginger – Ginger is known to have a long history of providing relief for nausea, pain, inflammation, motion sickness, loss of appetite, and many more health benefits
For each recipe, add the ingredients to a cup of cold water, add ice as preferred. You can double, or triple recipes or make a full pitcher to sip throughout the day.
The L.A. Standard: Lemon Cucumber Mint Detox Water is designed to maximize nutrients, reduce swelling and flushing out toxins in the body.
- 1/4 large lemon
- 1/8 cucumber, sliced or two small Persian cucumbers, sliced
- 2 mint sprigs
Bye-Bye-Bacteria: Apple Cider Vinegar helps to get rid of unwanted bacteria in the body and still keep a sweet side.
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- liquid Stevia (few drops to sweeten to desired taste)
Kick in the Head: Lemon Cayenne Pepper Water provides a spicy and sweet combo to increase overall gut health.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 pieces fresh ginger small slices
- liquid Stevia (few drops to sweeten to desired taste)
Dr. Fruit: Fruit Infused Water that provides a refreshing alternative to sugary drinks and helps curb soda cravings
- 1 cup water or sparkling (bubbly seltzer) water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh berries blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries
Fresh Face: Remove toxins from the body and promote a healthier complexion and scalp to keep your skin clear.
- 4-6 sliced strawberries
- 1 sliced lemon
- 1 small handful of basil in a glass jug
The Two-Fer: This recipe can actually be used topically as a toner for the face. It’s perfect for hydrating the skin.
- 1 cucumber
- Coconut water (in place of regular water)
Mommy’s Helper: Lemon Ginger Detox to help you feel better, reduce nausea, and is safe for pregnant women.
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 inch knob of ginger root
Berry Beautiful: Fresh lemon with blueberries packs a powerful punch, but can be swapped for other berry flavors as well.
- 3–4 slices of lemon
- 10 fresh blueberries
Ala Jillian: This is the original Jillian Michaels Detox recipe she recommends for weight loss.
- 1-2 tsp pure cranberry juice (not the juice cocktail!)
- 1/3 cup organic dandelion root tea, brewed and cooled
- 4 tsp lemon juice
The Wizard: The recipe from Dr. Oz that started the whole detox water craze. He recommends customizing it with any other flavors or ingredients you prefer.
- 1/2 cup strong green tea, brewed and cooled
- ¼ whole medium cucumber with peel, sliced
- 1 lemon wedge
- 2 sprigs of mint leaves
- Pinch of cayenne powder
I’ll Drink to That!
We are constantly taking in toxins from food, pollution, and all the chemicals used in the world. If we don’t get rid of the toxins, they will enter our fat cells for “safekeeping”. Pull them out and eliminate the irritation, inflammation, thyroid issues, and other health problems they cause.
Adding nutrients, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to your water provides carriers to remove these toxins from your body naturally. Keep it simple, keep it delicious and do more to help your body thrive just one sip at a time with detox water.