Though we live in one of the most advanced human civilizations, health issues are still a major concerning subject. Compared to the olden days, today we live in times where it is nearly impossible to avoid toxins, especially heavy metal toxins.
Having small amounts of some heavy metals, such as iron and zinc, is essential for a healthy body. However, having large amounts of heavy metals can be toxic to the body and the environment.
Some foods, diets, and medicines can help remove heavy metals from the body. But, depending on how severely you’re exposed to heavy metal, you might need to choose multiple treatments. For some as simple as a heavy metal detox smoothie will do the work, while some might need serious medical attention.
Yet diet, detox smoothies, and other natural treatments shouldn’t be viewed as a temporary week-long diet. It should be viewed as an opportunity to change your lifestyle and focus on eating clean and organic food.
Not sure which heavy metals you have been exposed to? Then find out how severe your levels are with an easy at-home heavy metals test from Everlywell.
What Is Heavy Metal Poisoning?
Heavy metal poisoning is a condition/illness caused by the accumulation of certain metals in the body due to exposure through food, water, industrial chemicals, or other sources. Heavy metal poisoning occurs when your body’s soft tissues absorb too much of a particular metal.
While your body needs small amounts of some heavy metals to function normally — such as zinc, copper, chromium, iron, and manganese — toxic amounts are harmful. If your body’s soft tissues accumulate too much of these substances, the resulting poisoning can cause serious health problems.
Here are some of the most dangerous heavy metals that can cause problems to our health.
- Arsenic – Arsenic is the 20th most abundant element on earth and the 33rd on the periodic table. It is mainly used in wood preservatives, herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, and paints.
- Lead – The main source of lead exposure includes drinking water, food, cigarette, industrial processes, and domestic sources. The industrial sources of lead include gasoline, house paint, plumbing pipes, lead bullets, storage batteries, pewter pitchers, toys, and faucets.
- Mercury – Mercury is used in producing dental amalgams, thermometers, and some batteries. Also, it can be found in some chemical, electrical, automotive, metal-processing, and building industries.
- Cadmium – This metal is mostly used in industries for the production of paints, alloys, coatings, batteries, as well as plastics.
- Chromium – Chromium is a metal that is present in petroleum and coal, chromium steel, pigment oxidants, fertilizers, catalyst, oil well drilling, and metal plating tanneries.
- Copper – Copper is another heavy metal that is used in industries to produce copper pipes, cables, wires, copper cookware, and much more.
- Manganese – This metal is added to gasoline as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT) and thus, gasoline fumes contain a very toxic form of manganese.
- Nickel – It is used in the production of batteries, nickel-plated jewelry, machine parts, nickel plating on metallic objects, manufacture of steel, cigarette smoke, wire, electrical parts, and more.
Healthy Smoothies That Help Detoxify Heavy Metal
Healthy foods are the ultimate solution to all health issues. Foods can both heal and kill you! Making a smart decision while choosing food is the basic foundation of a healthy life. Today, I’m sharing my favorite heavy metal detox smoothies. You’ll not only love it but your body will thank you.
- Medical Medium Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie
Medical Medium Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie is the first smoothie I’ll recommend to any individual who is looking for a detox smoothie. This smoothie is great for drawing heavy metals out of your brain tissue and healing and repairing any gaps created by oxidation when the heavy metals are removed.
The Official Medical Medium® “Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie” is made with clean, real food ingredients and is part of the Medical Medium® healing protocol.
Here’s a step-by-step process to make a Medical Medium heavy metal detox smoothie.
Step 1: Gather All The Ingredients
- Spirulina – This algae helps draw out heavy metals from the brain, central nervous system, and liver.
- Barley Grass Juice Powder – Helps draw heavy metal out from the spleen, intestinal tract, pancreas, thyroid, and reproductive system.
- Cilantro – Goes deeper into the body to extract heavy metals.
- Wild Blueberries – Wild blueberries are so powerful they can halt or even reverse conditions like Alzheimer’s and dementia.
- Atlantic Dulse Flakes – Goes deeper into the digestive tract and gut, seeking out mercury, binding to it, and releasing it only when it leaves the body.
Step 2: Blend All Ingredients
In a high-speed blender, blend all ingredients until smooth. Add 2 cups of blueberries, 1 cup cilantro, 1 tsp spirulina, 1 tsp barley grass powder, and 1 tsp dulse flakes. Add up to 1 cup of water if a thinner consistency is desired. Serve and enjoy!
Expert Tips + Ingredient Substitutions
Here are some expert tips to make this recipe perfect.
- For thicker smoothies reduce the amount of water.
- You can add any other fruits as per your taste and preferences.
- Both frozen and organic fresh blueberries can be used in the smoothie.
2. Heavy Metal Detox Green Smoothie
This is another powerful heavy metal detox smoothie that will detoxify you naturally. Drinking this smoothie even one time a week can help your body detoxify and catch up on its internal housework. The result: a cleaner liver, cleaner blood, and better mental clarity.
Here’s a step-by-step process to make this Heavy Metal Detox Green Smoothie.
Step 1: Gather All The Ingredients
- 1½ cups fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chlorella powder
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups fresh dandelion greens (spinach leaves optional).
Step 2: Blend All Ingredients
Gradually increase the blender speed toward high. Blend the ingredients for 30–45 seconds until the mixture contains no visible pieces of ingredients. Serve and enjoy!
Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie During Pregnancy
Drinking a heavy metal detox smoothie is one of my favorite snacks, even though I am not currently pregnant. I would recommend the Medical Medium smoothie mentioned above with the simple basic ingredients. Though it’s recommended mostly to pregnant women because of its natural and simple ingredients, anybody with heavy metal poisoning can take advantage of this smoothie.
This smoothie not only detoxifies heavy metal but also the liver, thyroid, and other organs. It is also the only detox that is safe in pregnancy.
FAQs About Healthy Smoothies For Heavy Metal Detox
- Can I drink the above heavy metal detox smoothies if I am diabetic?
- Contrary to popular belief, fruit does not cause diabetes. It is the fat that is blocking the sugar from getting into the cells and creating insulin resistance. Our bodies need healthy carbohydrates to function like fresh fruit, sweet potatoes, and potatoes. However, they must also have the critical clean carbohydrates we need.
- Can I drink the Medical Medium Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie if I have mercury amalgams in my teeth?
- Yes, you can – but stay tuned until the end. First of all, if the detox smoothie did pull out any mercury it would be fine because the cilantro and other four ingredients in the smoothie would carry it out of your body. But, your saliva doesn’t allow the phytochemical compounds that are in cilantro to bind to the mercury on the surface of the teeth. The saliva in your mouth inactivates the compounds in cilantro until it gets to the stomach where it is reactivated. This smoothie is helpful for anyone who has amalgams. But I would highly recommend getting those removed. Most natural chelation therapies won’t let you do their heavy metal detox protocol until all of the sources have been removed.
- I don’t like the taste of cilantro. What can I do?
- You can try a small amount of cilantro in the smoothie to start. The fruit taste will mask much of the flavor of the cilantro. If you still dislike it, you can have the smoothie with just one tiny sprig of cilantro and slowly increase the quantity over time. Coriander can be used as an alternative if needed.
Healthy Smoothies For Healthy Living
Most of us have heavy metals deeply sunk in our tissues, as they are present in things we daily come into contact with. They can oxidize over time, causing damage to the surrounding tissue and promoting inflammation. They poison our bodies and can harm practically all systems and organs, including the brain. It is vitally important to eliminate them so that they do not wreak havoc on our health.
Heavy metal detox smoothies mentioned in this article are based on chelating properties – a type of bonding of ions and molecules to metal ions.