If you live in a first-world country, you expect to turn on the faucet and receive clear, clean water, right? If you saw brown or grey water coming out of the faucet, that’s a clear sign that something is wrong and you wouldn’t drink it. But the truth is, even though the water is clear doesn’t mean it’s clean.
The water we drink every day still carries traces of heavy metals that are odorless and tasteless, but no less harmful. The only way to take care of these contaminants is through some type of heavy metal water filter.
Along the way to our faucet, our water picks up heavy metals. These dangerous ingredients can enter the water supply from industrial waste, acid rain, consumer waste, and even the pipes in our homes.
Heavy metals are naturally present in the Earth’s crust, but just because they are naturally occurring doesn’t mean they are safe. The most common metals in our water supply are also the most dangerous: lead, arsenic, mercury, and cadmium.
In 2016, I took an extensive heavy metals test where I cut out a chunk of my hair at the roots and sent it in to try and figure out what was making me feel so tired, lethargic and overall not well.
Scary enough, the test came back with above-average markers of these heavy metals. Sadly, most test results will show everyone with some level of heavy metals in their system, but just because it is normal does not mean it is healthy!
In a hurry?
If you don’t have much time, use the link below to quickly find the best overall heavy metal water filter.
Overall Winner – Big Berkey Filter
Why Do You Want To Filter Out Heavy Metals?
The symptoms of heavy metals sneaky. Oftentimes the damage they cause is stretched out across years and years of “healthy” drinking water. Many of us suffer from ailments without realizing we are actually drinking in the problem. Once a heavy metal is absorbed, our body cannot get rid of it.
Over time, the accumulation causes many health issues including mental and central nervous function, lower energy levels, and damage to blood composition, lungs, kidneys, liver, and other vital organs, cardiovascular diseases, developmental abnormalities, neurologic and neurobehavioral disorders, diabetes, hearing loss, hematologic and immunologic disorders, and cancer, just to name a few.
How Do I Know If My Water Is Safe?
The best way to know if your water is safe or not is to know what you’re looking for and get your water tested. You can get more information on removing heavy metals from your water where I dive a little further into the details.
Another option is to order a free water test. This option is available for US Customers only and is manufactured by a well-known US-based laboratory. Filter Water will mail you a Water Quality Test Kit that you can use to check the water at home and it will include strips for pH, Alkalinity, Hardness, and Chlorine.
I can almost promise even if you live in the US you still need a water filtration system for your normal drinking water. Check out what your water looks like in your zip code.
I also recommend using this quick online checker by Berkey Filters if you are impatient like me. Berkey Water Filters has teamed up with the Environmental Working Group to bring you this water quality search. The information provided is powered by the EWG’s Tap Water Database.
What Does A Heavy Metal Water Filter Do Exactly?
The goal of any heavy metal water filter system is to remove the heavy metals from your drinking water. There are several methods you can use in conjunction with a heavy metal detox. The most common methods include the following:
- Activated Alumina: Activated Alumina removes fluoride, arsenic, and selenium.
- Activated Carbon: This is a charcoal heavy metal water filter that is pretty effective at removing chlorine, sediment, VOCs, but it doesn’t remove minerals, salts, or dissolved compounds.
- Ceramic Filters: This is a similar concept to charcoal, but uses ceramic instead of carbon.
- Reverse Osmosis: This method runs water through a filter with a membrane.
- Water Distillation: Basically, this is the same as boiling your water into steam and then cooling it down.
How Do I Know Which Heavy Metal Water Filter Will Work Best For Me?
Pitcher: This is a great option for entry-level water filtration. The pitcher does all the work for you, all you need to do is fill it up and keep it in the fridge.
- Pro – This is usually the cheapest heavy metal water filter option and you get cold water every time
- Con – You only have a small amount of water available at one time and you’re constantly refilling the pitcher after each use.
Countertop: A countertop heavy metal water filter sits on the countertop and usually filters more water than a pitcher. It filters all the water that you will it with from your faucet.
- Pro – Easy to set up and most of the heavy metal water filters last 6 months or longer.
- Con – Takes up space on your kitchen counter and water is more room temperature.
Undersink: These are the most expensive heavy metal water filter options and are installed under the kitchen sink.
- Pro – They filter all of your water and remove more contaminants than other options.
- Con – They are a bigger investment than other heavy metal water filters and take more in-depth install time if you don’t understand simple plumbing.
Whole house: If you’re serious about your water filtration, you might want to invest in a whole-home filtration system.
- Pro – Filters all the water you use throughout your home, including your shower/bath and laundry.
- Con – Most expensive heavy metal water filter and is often installed by a professional.
5 BEST WATER FILTER PRODUCTS
BEST HEAVY METAL WATER BOTTLES: If you’re looking for clean and clear water wherever you go, a filtered water bottle is a great option. Perfect for those that hike and do not have access to clean water easily, or for those who want their tap water from the water fountain to taste better.
Sagan Life Water Bottle
The Sagan Life Journey Water Purification Bottles are among the best heavy metal water filters in the industry because of their lab-certified portable water purifier that is easy to carry and pack with you. The 24oz bottle purifies up to 250 gallons of contaminated water in the palm of your hand. Get more information here.
- Sagan Life water bottles are independently tested and “End of Life” certified as a heavy metal water filter.
- There are no moving parts to break or fail during use, making it safe for adults and children.
- All water bottles from Sagan Life meet or exceed the EPA standard for water purification.
- Reduces heavy metals and chemicals including Lead, Fluoride, Pharmaceuticals, Arsenic, etc.
- Sagan offers a 100% money-back guarantee
Most buyers are using this for not only outdoor activities but also as a permanent water bottle in their fridge to enjoy clean water daily and reduce the use of plastic waste. Buyers also appreciated the flip-up build in “straw” that makes it spill-proof and easy to drink from without a cap or lid to keep track of.
At $50, this is not a cheap water bottle. However, when you consider that you’re getting the most innovative heavy metal water filter system and saving money on bottled water, most will agree that it is worth every penny. That makes it very easy for me to recommend the Journey Water Purification Bottle from Sagan Life. Get further details and buy now.
Sport Berkey Water Bottle
The Sport bottle’s heavy metal water filter is designed to reduce or remove harmful contaminants from any water source. Whether you’re using a remote stream, lakes, ponds, or even just sub-standard city water, the ionic adsorption microfiltration technology in Berkey water bottles is designed to remove contaminants through adsorption. Get more information here.
- The Berkey bottle is smaller than other filtration bottles, making it easier to carry and use.
- The bottle’s heavy metal water filter reduces microorganisms by greater than 99.9% and reduces viruses by greater than 97%.
- Filters 100 gallons of water on one heavy metal water filter.
- Berkey uses several independent third-party labs to test a broad range of potential contaminants.
Most buyers noticed the taste of the water drastically improved with the use of this product and it is easy to use while traveling. While it is not cheap, it’s also less expensive than other comparable bottles. It does require a little more suction, so it might be tricky for kids to use, but it’s great for adults on the go. I can recommend the Berkey bottle with confidence that you’ll love it. Get further details or buy here.
BEST PITCHERS FOR HEAVY METAL FILTRATION: To provide filtered water for your whole family to enjoy, a filtration pitcher might be the best option. Super easy to fill and you can leave on the counter for room temperature water, or place in your fridge for cold water.
Seychelle pH2O Alkaline Water Filter Pitcher
Seychelle pitchers are in almost 7 million households worldwide and are been used to eliminate contamination through adsorption micro-filtration technology. The Seychelle water filters enhance pH to get rid of the bad stuff while maintaining the good healthy minerals in our water. Get more information here.
- Each Seychelle heavy metal water filter is tested to remove Lead, Mercury, Asbestos, Chromium 6, Benzene, MTBEs, VOCs, THMs, Chloroform, Arsenic, Fluoride and many more.
- The alkaline filter adds mineral content to the water to increase the pH indefinitely, not just temporarily.
- The Seychelle filter is one of the ONLY alkaline filters on the market that is manufactured and tested here in the USA.
- The 8-cup filter pitcher gives the perfect size for families to enjoy pure water throughout the day.
To most consumers, the alkaline levels of the water are an important feature. Not all heavy metal water filters have this same type of feature, and by consumer alkaline water, they have more confidence in the water they are giving to their families and children. All of the reviews agree that it’s easy to use and a good size for use all day without constant refilling.
For most consumers, the only negative part of this pitcher is that the top doesn’t screw-on, and can fall off when pouring. It’s a small adjustment to how you pour water, but if you keep one finger on the lid it seems to work just fine.
Hundreds of positive reviews and impressive features make it easy for me to recommend the Seychelle pH2O Alkaline heavy metal water filter pitcher. Get further details and buy now on Amazon.com.
ZeroWater ZP-010, 10 Cup Water Filter Pitcher
ZeroWater actually offers three different pitcher options as well as two countertop dispensers so you can find the right product to fit your needs. Each of their products is certified to NSF/ANSI standards for certified lead reduction through a 5-stage advanced filtration system. Their most popular option is the 10-cup heavy metal water filter pitcher. Get more information here.
- Each pitcher includes free a water quality meter so you can actually test your water, and know you’re getting quality results.
- ZeroWater removes 99.6% of total dissolved solids, 2X more than the leading brand (tested by independent lab).
- ZeroWater filters are the only pour-through filters NSF Certified to remove chromium & lead.
This heavy metal water filter pitcher had more ratings than any other option on Amazon. Many of the thousands of positive reviews from consumers who live in areas of the country with notoriously bad water and they drink from Zero Water with confidence.
It is noted that the worse your water, the quicker you’ll go through filters, some lasting only a few weeks. Still, for most consumers, the peace of mind you receive from clean water is well worth the cost of the filters. Clearly, this one is a win and is definitely one of my top recommendations. Get further details and buy now on Amazon.
Epic Pure Water Filter Pitcher
The Epic Water Pitcher filters 150 gallons of water with each filter, which is more than other similar pitchers. It also actually removes chlorine and fluoride whereas most others don’t affect these chemicals. The Epic pitcher has earned hundreds of positive ratings.
- Epic filters last longer than other brands like Brita, Invigorated Living, or Aqua Optima.
- Each heavy metal water filter is tested in the United States as well as independent labs in 16 countries.
- The five-stage filter eliminates lead, fluoride, and contaminants that other filters miss.
- Smart filter media keeps healthy trace minerals like calcium and magnesium in your water,
Through the hundreds of positive reviews, it’s clear that consumers love the taste of their water with the Epic Filter system. Consumers from all areas of the country using municipal water, or well water all taste a difference in their clean water from this pitcher.
Some were concerned about filtering out fluoride, which is often added to city water to help prevent tooth decay, others are not concerned and claim that added fluoride is really only beneficial to young children while adults need the pure, clean water more than the fluoride. For clearing out contaminants and enjoying fresh, clear water, this one is an easy choice to recommend. Get more information here.
BEST HEAVY METAL COUNTERTOP FILTERS: A countertop filtration system gives you the option of clean and clear water in larger quantities than a pitcher. While these options do take up more room in your home, they also offer a great heavy metal water filter option for those who need more than a few cups at a time.
Berkey Filters – Big Berkey Water Filter – MY FAVE!!!
As a personal owner of a Berkey filter, I can say first hand that it has been worth all of the research and money I spent. My water has never tasted better and it is the most simple concept other than a pitcher.
Berkey countertop heavy metal water filters come in two sizes. The Big Berkey is perfect for up to four people, and can also be a good emergency backup for natural disaster recovery situations. Other Berkey sizes include the Royal, which holds 3.25 gallons, Imperial holds 4.5 gallons and the Crown Berkey which is a 6-gallon water heavy metal water filter system. They also have a smaller travel option which holds 1.5 gallons. Get more information here.
- Each Black Berkey comes with two filters and can produce up to 3000 gallons of purified drinking water without a new heavy metal water filter, which means your original purchase will last you at least 4 years without the need for replacement.
- Berkey purifies the very smallest of water contaminants, even viruses.
- This system is used worldwide for emergency relief workers and disaster recovery areas.
- The unit comes with easy to follow assembly instructions and has the ability to be disassembled for easy cleaning.
The Big Berkey has over 1000 positive reviews. For most consumers, when they are ready to buy a heavy metal water filter system at this size, they are serious about clean water and it shows. The cult-like following from Berkey is clear. Consumers absolutely love these products and can’t give them enough love. Get further details or buy here.
Since I personally own this water filter, I did a review of my Big Berkey. If you are interested in learning more about their products you can read more here.
It is important to purchase authentic filters directly from Berkey to reduce the risk of fake filters, which have been a problem for some consumers. As long as you take the time to purchase from a reputable source, this shouldn’t be an issue. Clearly, this heavy metal water filter system is a win from me.
I know that Berkey can be a big expense for most of us, but if you like a good hunt like me, you can check out their sales page where they post different sales and specials. They also have a discount bundles page that lists excess inventory and other discounts available. Trust me I snagged a deal this way!
Zen Water – Active 8 Gallon Water Filter
The Zen Water Filter Purifier System “mimics the process of a mineral spring, transforming ordinary tap water into purified, healthy, great-tasting drinking water the way Mother Nature intended.” There are three different Zen systems, utilizing 6, 7, or 8-stage heavy metal water filter technology.
While most common household heavy metal water filter is the Zen Water Filter Purifier System with a patent-pending unique 8-stage filtration system. Get more information direct from Zen Water.
- The top filter tank holds 3 gallons, while the bottom storage tank holds 5 gallons, allowing you to have more water available at once.
- It comes standard with a magnetized spigot and a complete set of filters.
- Micro-Ceramic filter traps dirt and debris.
- Activated Carbon layer removes chlorine, odors, radon, solvents, pesticides, and herbicides as well as VOCs and other chemicals.
- Mineral sand absorbs impurities.
- Far Infrared Balls promote growth and healthy cells.
- Natural Zeolite absorbs heavy metals and other contaminants.
- Magnetic Tap builds energy and activates detoxing properties as the water is dispensed each time.
This multi-layer heavy metal water filter mimics the same process natural water purification from the Earth. This is why the water from Zen tastes exactly like pure water you’d find from a glacier or natural spring. It does take up quite a bit of space on the countertop, but they offer three sizes so you can find the one that’s going to work well in your home. Get further details and buy now direct from Zen Water.
BEST UNDERSINK FILTERS FOR HEAVY METAL: An under-sink heavy metal water filter system connects directly to your water pipes and allows you to enjoy filtered water straight from your faucet. Generally, these can be installed under any sink and can be used in any home.
Epic Water Filter – Smart Shield
The Epic Water Filter Smart Shield is a direct connect under the sink heavy metal water filter system that has been independently tested and trip-certified against NSF/ANSI standards. The eco-friendly activated coconut carbon block filter removed 99.99% of over 70 known containments, including many heavy metals. It works for both municipal and well water to remove bacteria and lead which leaves you with nothing but peace of mind and a cold drink.
- Easy to install by connecting the unit directly to your kitchen sink’s cold water line. It only takes a few minutes with a wrench and a screwdriver.
- Epic Smart offers a 100% money-back guarantee that you will love it or you may send it back and receive a full refund.
- This under sink heavy metal water filter was tested and certified up to 651 gallons by IAPMO to 3 different NSF/ANSI residential drinking water treatment standards.
Most consumers who chose this product did so because of the triple certifications. While many filters make the same claims, this one can back it up with independent certifications from the NSF and ANSI standards, so you know the product will do exactly what it says it will do. A few buyers indicated it leaked upon installation. After reading the instructions, it’s clear you have to keep turning until you hear a click. After that full turn, there are no leaking issues.
This is a no-brainer as far as under sink heavy metal water filter system goes, you can’t get more peace of mind than you can find with the Epic Smart Shield. Get further details here.
Aquasana – Optimum H20
Aquasana is also tested and certified to NSF/ANSI standards and is the only proven filtration method to effectively remove fluoride as well as other contaminants. Aquasana claims this product is the first reverse osmosis system of its kind. It combines powerful reverse osmosis filtration with Claryum selective filtration PLUS remineralization to give you the best drinking water possible. Get more information here.
- This system filters a half-gallon of water every minute, reducing wait time for clean water when compared to traditional filters.
- Each filter lasts for 6 months, or 800 gallons of water before a replacement is needed.
- Includes a dedicated faucet for your filtered water in three colors to match your current faucet.
- The system will alert you when it’s time to change your filters.
Consumers who have purchased this product tend to give it very high reviews, especially in terms of installation. Although it does come with an additional faucet, putting it in your home takes less than an hour and is very easy to do. The only downside comes from the flow from the faucet. Some buyers commented that the water pressure was lower than they expected. However, the taste of the water more than makes up for the few extra seconds it takes to fill up your bottle. Clearly, this product is a winner and I have no problem recommending it. Get further details or buy direct here.
BEST HEAVY METAL WHOLE HOUSE FILTRATION SYSTEMS: A whole home water heavy metal water filter system is attached to the main water line, generally in the basement or utility closet in the home. This type of system is more expensive, but it purifies every water source in your home.
Express Water – Heavy Metal Whole House Water Filter
A whole house water filter allows you to drink regularly from any faucet in your home with confidence. Express water uses three stages of filtration to remove major heavy metal contaminants as well as chemicals, pesticides, solvents, rust, dirt, and viruses. They also have an innovative design that makes it easy to install and use. Get more information here.
- It comes with a one-year warranty on all water systems.
- The manufacturer provides lifetime support for every product so you can get help when you need it.
- Specifically engineered for high flow filtration so you can have clean water with no drop in water pressure.
- Filters high volumes of water with no waste and no added chemicals.
- Created with food-grade materials and high-quality materials that are tested and verified to meet both NSF and ANSI standards
There are hundreds of positive reviews on Amazon to back up this product. Over 80 percent of customers gave it a full five stars, and it’s easy to see why. Over and over, positive reviews rave about the taste of their water, easy installation and healthy families.
One downfall is the cost of replacement filters, but most reviewers agree even this increased cost still makes it worth it because the system filters out more than other comparable models.
Clearly, this is an easy recommendation for the Express Water whole house system. Get further details and buy now on Amazon.com.
Aquasana – Whole House 1 Million Gallon Rhino
The Aquasana Whole House Rhino system filters one million gallons through carefully sequenced stages, each with its own unique formula of filters. The unit is designed to remove 97% of chlorine in tap water and reduce heavy metals, VOCs, and industrial solvents. Get more information here.
- Combines mineral stone filter with an activated carbon filter to reduce chlorine, heavy metals, bacteria, herbicides, pesticides, and other chemical compounds.
- Easy to install, although you still may want the help of a professional if you’re uncomfortable working on your waterline.
- It does not require flushing or draining your current water line.
- Upgrades the water throughout your house, so that you know the water you’re using to clean, shower, cook, and bathe is all pure and clean.
This product has nearly perfect reviews from hundreds of satisfied customers. Most customers say they installed the product themselves, which was very easy to do. They also note that the system performs well and doesn’t seem to affect water pressure or appliance use throughout the house. Of course, this is not a small purchase and it an investment in your home – but cleaner water throughout the house is completely worth it. Get further details and buy direct here.
If you are considering a whole home heavy metal water filter system, it’s important to do your homework. This is a big purchase for your home and you want to find the product that is going to work best for you. Check out FilterWater.com to compare similar products.
BEST HEAVY METAL REFRIGERATOR FILTERS:
Almost all refrigerators have a water filtration system built-in, but the filters that you buy make a huge difference in how effective your water is filtered. Clatterans is a great resource to find almost every brand of refrigerator to buy a good replacement filter from. Using a high-quality heavy metal water filter and keeping it up to date is one of the easiest ways to clean the water you use straight out of the fridge.
Clean, Clear, and Under Control
You may not be able to control the quality of your municipal water, but you can still protect yourself and your family from harmful contaminants and improve the taste of your water with a heavy metal water filter. Our recommendations are the best options on the market from permanent under-sink systems to a simple water bottle. Choose from the best brands including Aquasana, Aquatrue, Berkey, Clean and Pure, Paragon, Pelican, Pur, Brita, Propur, Aquagear, Mavea, and Culligan. Now you can take back control to make your water cleaner and healthier.