Depending solely on a diet regime to cure hyperthyroidism might not be the best way to deal with this problem. However, including various foods and nutrients in your diet surely does alleviate the symptoms, and what you eat does matter!
The presence of an excess thyroid hormone in the body due to the malfunctioned thyroid gland is called hyperthyroidism. You need to avoid some foods, and some of them should be a part of your diet.
You will find it all on this page from a list of foods to avoid to different nutrients and essential oils suitable for hyperthyroidism. Keep reading to see what’s the best way to administer your own hyperthyroidism natural treatment.
No time to diagnose yourself? Then pick up a thyroid test today to learn what’s going on exactly!
Signs and Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism
The signs and symptoms of an overactive thyroid might be mild for one person and can significantly affect another. Some include:
- Increased appetite
- Weight loss
- Thinning hair
- Issues with sleep
- Irregularities in menstruation
- High blood pressure
- Irregular/faster heart rate
If you are experiencing these signs and symptoms, note them down. There can be other reasons for these signs; however, a blood test will help to determine whether they are caused by an overactive thyroid.
What Causes hyperthyroidism?
Grave’s disease is an auto-immune disorder, and it has been the most common cause of hyperthyroidism. Antibodies stimulate the thyroid hormone to release thyroid hormone in excess. This auto-immune disorder tends to run more in women than in men and is mostly diagnosed in people with someone else in the family having the same issue.
Other causes of an overactive thyroid include:
- Excess intake of Iodine (Key Ingredient of T3 and T4 hormone, which are two primary hormones made by the Thyroid)
- Inflammation of the Thyroid gland, which causes T3 and T4 leakage
- Tumors in Gonads (Testes and Ovaries)
- Tumors in Thyroid and/or Pituitary gland
- Dietary supplements or medications including large amounts of Tetraiodothyronine
Can Hyperthyroidism Be Cured?
The vast medical literature on hyperthyroidism states that there is no cure for this issue, and medication must continue for life. However, recent research conducted by Kelly Brogan concluded that a person’s lifestyle, diet, and medicine could cure hyperthyroidism.
The case study has sparked hope for those suffering from thyroid issues, and many are opting for a hyperthyroidism natural treatment as an effective way to alleviate the symptoms if not cure the problem.
Do you think you have hyperthyroidism? Then grab a thyroid test today to learn how you can start naturally alleviating your symptoms.
Avoiding Iodine is what everybody would tell you when you have an overactive thyroid. Here are some nutrients and essentials that we need to add to our diet:
- L-carnitine – Carnitine is an amino acid that prevents the thyroid hormone from entering different cells and affecting them. It has also been found that L-carnitine reverses and prevents multiple symptoms of hypothyroidism, including heart palpitations and tiredness. Carnitine is found in foods like fish, meat, and dairy products. Recommended supplement here.
- Calcium and Vitamin D – Both of these are important for a person suffering from hyperthyroidism as it affects the bones and makes a person weak. Recommended supplement here.
- Bugleweed – It is a plant that has been used for ages to treat heart and lung diseases. It is naturally found to be beneficial in reducing thyroid function, according to some sources. Recommended supplement here.
- B-complex or B-12 – One symptom of hyperthyroidism is fatigue/tiredness, which could potentially be due to B-12 deficiency. Although B-12 supplements are readily available, consider consulting your physician before taking them. Recommended supplement here.
- Selenium – It is considered to be effective in treating the symptoms of hyperthyroidism. According to various studies conducted on Selenium, it is considered to be an excellent addition to your hyperthyroidism natural treatment. It occurs naturally in beef, fish, nuts, and some oils. Recommended supplement here.
- Lemon balm – It has been on the list of cures for thyroid because it is said to reduce stimulating thyroid hormone. However, there is insufficient research conducted on lemon balm as an effective remedy for hyperthyroidism. Recommended supplement here.
- Glucomannan – It is a dietary fiber extracted from the roots of the Konjac plant. You can find it in powder or tablet forms. Studies show that it is useful for treating hyperthyroidism. However, more research is needed before it can be announced as an effective remedy for hyperthyroidism officially. Recommended supplement here.
Foods to Eat for Hyperthyroidism Treatment
A hyperthyroidism patient might be recommended to shift onto a low iodine diet before his/her treatment is started. Here’s how you can maintain a balanced diet with no or insufficient iodine intake.
- Leafy greens
- Seafood (in a controlled amount as you don’t want to intake too much Selenium)
- Unsalted nuts and nut butter
- Moderate portions of beef, chicken, turkey, veal, and lamb
- Fruit and fruit juices
- Cruciferous vegetables (They decrease Iodine uptake by the thyroid gland and reduce thyroid production)
Include the aforementioned foods in your diet. Don’t overdo it. A balanced diet and consistent diet would be the best way to move forward with your hyperthyroidism natural treatment.
Hyperthyroidism: Foods To Avoid
Anything that’s rich in Iodine is very harmful to a person suffering from hyperthyroidism. Here are the foods to steer yourself clear from.
- Iodized salt or anything else rich in Iodine
- Too much seafood
- Dairy products
- Beef or poultry in large amounts
- Egg yolks
- Whole-grain foods
Your hyperthyroidism natural treatment is incomplete just looking at this list. These foods are still healthy, but when these foods are eaten in excess (especially with added iodized salt in most processed foods) then they can be harmful.
This goes without mentioning that exercising regularly in addition to keeping a healthy diet would do wonders for you.
Lifestyle Tips for Hyperthyroidism
A hyperthyroidism natural treatment would be useful if you also make it a part of your lifestyle. Having the right amount of sleep at the right time, taking a balanced diet, exercising regularly would do wonders for you no matter how severe your condition is right now. Therefore an improved lifestyle can lead to an enhanced thyroid gland, whether under or overactive Thyroid.
Essential Oils for Thyroid
- Lemongrass – This oil has been studied for its anti-inflammatory properties. It is best to use if you have swelling in the thyroid area. Applying the oil to your neck would show results if you do it consistently.
- Frankincense Oil – It has anti-inflammatory and immunity-boosting properties, and it also helps repair your skin. A hyperactive thyroid can make your skin dry and flaky. A few drops of this oil would rejuvenate your skin.
- Lavender – Lavender oil is being used for its relaxing and calming effects. It not only promotes relaxation but also reduces the impact of anxiety and frustration.
- Wintergreen – It has been used for a long time to treat aching joints and stiff or tired muscles caused by an overactive thyroid. Applying this oil on joints and muscles would make you relaxed and reduce joint pain effectively.
- Sandalwood – This oil is quite famous for its anti-anxiety properties. Applying this oil on pressure points would relieve stress and anxiety. You can also use an oil aromatherapy diffuser to make use of its anti-anxiety benefits.
FAQs for Hyperthyroidism
What triggers hyperthyroidism?
- Grave’s Diseases
- Hyperfunctioning thyroid nodules
Can hyperthyroidism heal itself?
Hyperthyroidism does not heal on its own. The symptoms can be alleviated to an extent where you don’t feel anything at all. However, at times, most people who go through treatment for hyperthyroidism can live a lifestyle that keeps side effects at bay.
Can hyperthyroidism cause death?
The associated symptoms are life-threatening, and if not adequately dealt with, can lead to death in extreme cases.
Positive Attitude: The Best Therapy
Humans have survived due to being the fittest in all species. Their existence has been under threat from many predators, yet they have emerged to be on top of the species pyramid. The reason is smart work.
Your thyroid can start working better if you have a healthy lifestyle and a positive mindset. It all ends up on how serious you are about your life and how vigilantly you take care of your thyroid issues. You should start your hyperthyroidism natural treatment today!