Unfortunately, medical problems are a part of our life. No human is immune to illness. Every one of us suffers from one or more medical problems. When I was first struggling to understand why I wasn’t feeling great, I blamed a lot of other issues. However, after many tests and some digging, I found that my problems were all surrounding one issue. My thyroid.
Some popular questions on the internet I had to learn about underactive thyroid are:
- Is hypothyroidism natural treatment as effective as a medical treatment?
- Can we cure hypothyroidism by natural treatment?
What I learned is that a hypothyroidism natural treatment won’t cure you overnight. But it can help you feel better, lower your stress and prevent other diseases caused by Hypothyroidism. If you are on clinical medication, keep taking your doctor prescribes medication while you add natural treatment to your daily life.
Before I tell you about the natural remedies. Let’s talk about the aspects involved in and around hypothyroidism.
What is a Thyroid Gland?
Most of the time we disregard the root cause of a problem. Without doing proper research we couldn’t give you the best Hypothyroidism natural treatments. Remember, no matter what you are dealing with. Do your research, dig into the deepest level.
Coming to the point.
A thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped endocrine gland located at the lower front of the neck. Its job is to make thyroid hormones. We need thyroid hormones to maintain our body temperature, to use our body energy, to keep our brain, heart, and muscles working.
We also need these hormones for normal breathing and heart rate, to maintain our body weight, for balanced menstrual cycles and cholesterol levels, and much more.
Basically, it’s a center point of all thyroid-related problems. The level of your thyroid hormones determines the types of thyroid problems. The thyroid gland produces two types of hormones, T3 and T4.
Did you know that 1 out of every 3 Women are usually suffering from thyroid-related issues?
Common Thyroid Disorders and Problems
The major cause of any thyroid problem is the fluctuation of T3 and T4 hormones. Hypothyroidism or Hyperthyroidism is not the only thyroid problem in the world. There are lots of other disorders and problems.
Let’s talk about some of the most common thyroid problems.
- Hyperthyroidism (Overactive Thyroid): Hyperthyroidism is another thyroid problem caused by excess production of thyroid hormone.
- Thyroid Cancer: Thyroid cancer is also another popular thyroid problem all over the globe. When abnormal cells (tumor) begin to multiply in your thyroid gland. You have a high risk of thyroid cancer.
- Thyroid Nodules: Thyroid nodules is a thyroid problem where solid or fluid-filled lumps or bumps grow out of control in your thyroid gland.
- Goiter: A goiter is an enlargement of your thyroid gland.
- Thyroiditis: Thyroiditis is a thyroid problem caused by an inflamed thyroid gland.
- Thyroid Storm/Thyroid Crisis: Thyroid Storm or Thyroid Crisis is a situation where your thyroid gland suddenly overproduces or underproduces thyroid hormones. In most cases, it can be a life-threatening condition.
- Grave Disease: Graves disease is a thyroid condition when your thyroid gland becomes hyperactive and starts to work harder than it needs to. Graves’s disease often leads to Hypothyroidism.
These are some of the most common thyroid disorders and problems. Each problem is treated differently. There are also natural treatments for each problem, which we will cover in a different article. For this article, we will be focusing solely on Hypothyroidism natural treatment.
Now, let’s dig a little deeper into Hypothyroidism and its natural treatment.
What is Hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism or underactive thyroid is a condition in which your thyroid gland fails to produce thyroid hormones, namely T3 and T4. Hypothyroidism is one of the most common thyroid problems. Alone in the US, every 5 people out of 100 have an Underactive Thyroid.
What Causes Hypothyroidism?
There are lots of factors that lead to Hypothyroidism. The points mentioned below are some of the common causes of an underactive Thyroid.
- Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis: Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis is a condition in which your body defense mechanism attacks your thyroid cells. Sometimes your defense cells mistakenly attack healthy cells in your body, including thyroid cells. As the thyroid cells get attacked rapidly it starts to produce fewer thyroid hormones leading to Hypothyroidism.
- Surgical Removal of Thyroid Gland: No Thyroid gland, no Thyroid hormones! Simple as that. If you have removed a part of your thyroid gland or all of it. In both cases, your body will lack thyroid hormones. And fewer hormones means underactive thyroid.
- Radiation Treatment: If you have ever undergone radiation therapy there is a high chance you have underactive thyroid problems. When you treat any problems on your head and neck utilizing radiation, it kills your thyroid cells resulting in fewer thyroid hormones.
- Medication: Some medicines also prevent your thyroid gland from producing thyroid hormone. Amiodarone, lithium, interferon-alpha, and interleukin-2 all fall into this criteria.
- Disbalance Iodine: Your thyroid gland needs iodine to produce thyroid hormones. When you take in too much Iodine it can trigger your thyroid gland to produce more hormones than needed.
Using hypothyroidism natural treatment can help fight the underlying cause of underactive thyroid.
5 Common Signs And Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
Here are common signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism. There are more signs and symptoms of underactive thyroid. But these are the most common ones. If you notice any of these problems, you might want to take a Hypothyroidism test.
- Fatigue – The thyroid hormone is responsible for many functions in our body. Controlling energy level is one of those functions. If you often feel tired without any reason. It might be a signal from an underactive thyroid.
- Weight Gain – Thyroid hormones also control your metabolism. When you have a hypothyroidism problem you’ll want to eat more and do less physical activities. Which will eventually lead to weight gain.
- You Can’t Bear the Cold – Underactive thyroid slows down your normal heating process. If you notice feeling colder than you used to do, it could be a sign of underactive thyroid.
- Weak Joint, Muscles, and Hair – We need thyroid hormones to maintain the rapid growth of our cells like hair follicles and muscles. When our body lacks the needed hormones it starts to weaken our metabolism resulting in weak cells and joints. In some cases, you may experience aches in muscles and joints.
- Heavy or irregular periods – Changes in menstruation in women is also one common symptom of Hypothyroidism. Some of you might even experience itchy dry skin, mental fogginess, and constipation.
And if your condition or issue is still in its infancy you should start Hypothyroidism natural treatment before you opt for prescribed medicine.
Natural Remedies for Hypothyroidism
Back in the old days, they didn’t have hospitals, doctors, and nurses. So, how did they treat any health problem? The answer is simple – natural treatment. Today we give less importance to natural treatment. In other countries, people still use natural treatment to balance the thyroid hormones. Below are Hypothyroidism natural treatments that you should try.
Essential Oils For Hypothyroidism Treatment
- Coconut Oil – Consuming coconut oil on a daily basis and exercise is one of the best combinations that can keep your thyroid gland healthy and better functioning.
- Spearmint Oil – If you are experiencing aching and joint pain caused by hypothyroidism. Apply it to the affected area. It will improve circulation and relieve pain.
- Peppermint Oil – Peppermint is great to improve your metabolism. If you have problems with your metabolism due to underactive thyroid add some food-grade peppermint oil to your herbal tea or drinks.
- Myrrh Oil – Myrrh oil works as an anti-inflammatory agent. Applying myrrh oil on the inflamed thyroid gland will help reduce inflammation caused by hypothyroidism.
- Rose Geranium Oil – Rose Geranium is also another anti-inflammatory agent. Applying a few drops of Rose Geranium oil can reduce thyroid gland inflammation.
- Cedarwood Oil – If you are experiencing dry skin due to underactive thyroid. Mix a few drops of Cedarwood oil with other soothing oil and apply to the affected area.
Some oils can be used for both Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism. But the oils mentioned above are specifically meant for hypothyroidism natural treatment. Some other oils you could also use are Copaiba, Frankincense, Grapefruit, Lavender, Lemongrass, Rose geranium, and Rosemary.
Essential oils are one of the best hypothyroidism natural treatment options you must try. Check out the best essential oils for thyroid in my other article.
Botanical Herbs for Hypothyroidism
Another hypothyroidism natural treatment involves the use of botanical herbs. These types of hypothyroidism natural treatments are popular.
- Ashwagandha: The botanical name of Ashwagandha is Withania somnifera. A recent study states that using 600 mg of Ashwagandha root extract led to significant improvement in thyroid levels.
- Gum Guggul – Gum Guggul is a gum resin obtained from Commiphora wightii, Commiphora gileadensis, Commiphora Mukul, Boswellia serrata, and Boswellia sacra plants. The use of this gum can treat weakness, fatigue, and muscle aches caused by hypothyroidism.
- Coleus Forskohlii – Coleus Forskohlii is a herb that belongs to a mint family. The root of this herb contains forskolin, a substance that stimulates the generations of T4 and T3. Coleus also boosts energy, improves allergies, asthma, psoriasis, and helps with glaucoma.
Botanical herbs are also an effective hypothyroidism natural treatment.
Natural Ayurveda Treatment for Hypothyroidism
Here are some more Ayurveda treatments to treat Hypothyroidism.
- Medicated Powder Massage: Do you like massages? If yes, you will love this treatment. In a medicated powder massage you will get a massage with a herbal powder or paste instead of oils. This massage stimulates your nervous system, glands and detoxifies your body which leads to improvement in hypothyroidism.
- Abhyanga: Abhyanga is an ayurvedic oil massage that aims to harmonize body, mind, and spirit. This massage helps to relax and relieve muscle pain caused by an underactive thyroid.
- Yoga and Pranayama – When you practice Yoga and pranayama (breathing exercise) you calm your mind and body. When you are calm you put less pressure on your thyroid and other parts of your body.
Ayurveda is widely known for its 100% working results. Most of the Ayurveda treatment can be done at home. You can use Yoga and Pranayama, Abhyanga as Hypothyroidism natural treatment.
Best Thyroid Supplements for Hypothyroidism
There is also a way to treat and balance your hypothyroidism with the help of natural supplements. Take a look at the natural supplement mentioned below and see if you can add it to your daily life.
- Iodine: Understand that our body can’t make iodine naturally. We need to supply it from outside our bodies. Though most of our food contains Iodine in it, particularly seafood. But sometimes we don’t provide enough quantity that our body needs. Lack of iodine will greatly affect the hormone level. It is recommended that you take at least 150 mcg of Iodine per day for a Hypothyroidism natural treatment.
- Selenium: Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is one of the major causes of hypothyroidism. If you can treat Hashimoto’s you have fewer chances of suffering from an underactive thyroid. Including selenium in your diet can prevent you from hypothyroidism and other thyroid problems. Primary food sources of selenium are fish, meats, and eggs.
- Vitamin D: Our thyroid needs vitamin D to function properly. We do receive vitamin D from exposure to sunlight and from the few foods we eat. Medical studies encourage underactive thyroid patients to add Vitamin D supplements to their diet.
- Vitamin B: Vitamin B is important for thyroid function. Even a normal person needs vitamin B to maintain their thyroid activities. People suffering from underactive thyroid should take the entire vitamin B complex including vitamin B12.
- Zinc: As I have mentioned above, our thyroid gland produces 80% of T4 and 20% of T3. The thyroid gland needs Zinc to convert T3 to T4. The recommended daily intake of zinc is 8 to 11 milligrams for adult women and men.
Another great hypothyroidism natural treatment is adding a natural supplement to your diet. Lack of nutrients might be one of the main causes of thyroid problems. Adding supplements to your diet is the fastest way to provide nutrients to your body.
If you don’t want to have to buy mutliple types of vitamins, I recommend starting with a good mulivitamin. HUM Nutrition offers a great one to fill in any nutritional gaps and icludes iodine, selenium, B complex, D3, Zinc, and more.
Best Diet for Hypothyroidism
The food that you eat can also play a great role in maintaining your thyroid. Eat these foods daily to treat and maintain your underactive thyroid.
- Dairy Products: Yogurt, milk, and cheese are some of the best foods you can eat daily to maintain and treat your thyroid. Its rich iodine properties help you treat an underactive thyroid and other thyroid problems.
- Fruits: Apples, Pears and Citrus are some of the best fruits out there in the market that can help you treat many thyroid problems including underactive thyroid. This fruit helps you detoxify your body and keeps your thyroid gland healthy. Adding one Avocado to your diet will give you a lot of difference to your imbalanced functioning thyroid.
- Nuts and Seeds: In the natural supplement section we talk about Zinc. Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and nuts have a good amount of Zinc in them. Almond is another great nut for hypothyroidism natural treatment. It contains a good source of protein, fiber, and minerals.
- Legumes and Beans: Legumes and Beans are rich not just in Zinc but also in fiber, protein, and essential minerals. Adding beans to your daily diet will not only keep your thyroid under control but also helps with constipation.
- Flaxseeds: Flaxseeds are the best source of good fatty acids in the world. Our thyroid glands need fatty acids to produce thyroid hormones. On top of that flaxseeds are also rich in magnesium and vitamin B12.
- Broccoli: Anything that increases metabolism is beneficial for thyroid problems. Broccoli is rich in calcium and Vitamin C which helps boost metabolism.
- Ginger: Inflammation is one of the primary causes of thyroid problems. Ginger is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. They are also rich in potassium and magnesium.
If you have underactive thyroid consult your doctor before you add any of this food to your daily diet. Adding this diet can drastically improve your thyroid functions as a Hypothyroidism natural treatment.
At the same time, you should also limit your sugar intake, go gluten-free, eat iodine-rich foods, take a good probiotic, and try managing your stress with ashwagandha.
Physical Therapy for Hypothyroidism
These days physical therapy is widely getting popular to treat medical problems. There is also physical therapy to maintain and treat underactive thyroids.
Below are some physical therapies that you can try to treat hypothyroidism.
- Hot and Cold Therapy: Hot water or cold water therapy is also known as hydrotherapy. These therapies help ease muscles and joint pain caused by an underactive thyroid.
- Meditation: Meditation is one of the best habits you can add to your life. There is no harm in meditating daily while undergoing underactive thyroid treatment.
- Yoga: Yoga is one of the best stretching exercises from ancient India. Yoga improves your blood flow in your body and to your thyroid gland.
- Exercises: Some of the best exercises you can do for an underactive thyroid are walking, water aerobics, tai chi, and strength training.
Yoga, meditation, and exercise should be a daily part of our life. It not only works as a hypothyroidism natural treatment but works as an overall body treatment. These are some of the best therapies you can try to ease and control your thyroid problems.
Underactive Thyroid FAQs
- What is the difference between subclinical hypothyroidism and hypothyroidism?
- The early stage of hypothyroidism is called subclinical hypothyroidism. Whereas hypothyroidism is the advanced stage of the underactive thyroid.
- Can I permanently cure hypothyroidism?
- It depends on the cause of your hypothyroidism. If the cause of your underactive thyroid is Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis. There is a 90% chance that underactive thyroid won’t be cured, but you can maintain it.
- How often should thyroid levels be checked with hypothyroidism?
- A TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) blood test should be obtained every 6 to 12 months.
Should you try Natural Home Remedies for your Underactive Thyroid?
Definitely! It doesn’t matter if you have mild subclinical hypothyroidism or an advanced stage of underactive thyroid. Trying out hypothyroidism natural treatments won’t harm you. But make sure to consult your doctor before you try it.
Read each section closely and try which one works best for you. Not all home remedies will work for everybody. Every human on earth is different. Treatments that worked for me might not work for you. But luckily, all of these suggestions will help improve your overall health. So what are you waiting for?
Start with one of the hypothyroidism natural treatments mentioned in this article like essential oils, natural diet, natural supplements, and physical therapy for hypothyroidism.