Sun being the symbol of happiness, has its roots in the positive impact it has on people. Sunlight is composed of seven lights which are all beneficial for different purposes. That’s the reason you have a different glow and energy on a sunny day.
The positive effects of sunlight are not limited to vitamin-D-related benefits. The longer wavelengths of red light interact with the energy house of our cells and it influences the metabolism.
Metabolism plays a role in our weight. Exercise increases your metabolism, which then targets your fat cells. Red light therapy for weight loss is an effective weight loss tool you should consider incorporating. Light therapy for weight loss will enhance the results, and the best outcomes are generated when used in conjunction with exercise and dieting.
Ready to start gaining the benefits but no time to read? Check out our favorite red light device for weightloss.
Effect of Light Therapy on Fat Cells
Red light therapy works on the fat cells by targeting adipocytes (cells that store fat). A scientific study concluded that exposure to red light causes the adipocytes to release triglycerides. This resulted in a visible fat loss, and the four-week case study showed an average 2.15 cm loss in the waist measurement.
Exposure to infrared light has also shown a significant decrease in appetite, which helps to follow a calorie deficit diet, thus helping in weight loss indirectly.
This study was conducted on red light therapy’s effect on weight loss which involved 64 obese women divided into two groups. One group was exposed to infrared light right after the exercise, and the other ones received a placebo light treatment. The study went on for three weeks. After the research, a great reduction in fat was experienced, along with an increased bone mass.
How Does Light Therapy Help You Lose Weight?
Also known as LED therapy, red light therapy for weight loss has been quite effective. Not only does it help to lose weight, but it also has therapeutic effects on the body at the micro-level. Here are some of those benefits in more detail:
- Increased Metabolism in Cells – The red light wavelength penetrates deep down the skin and stimulates mitochondria (Powerhouse of the cells). The increased energy production revives the dead skin cells and increases collagen production. Moreover, it also increases cellular activity, which targets the fat layers under the skin.
- Increase in Muscle Mass – The healing properties of red light therapy enhances the growth and repair of muscle mass right after the exercise. A study showed that athletes exposed to a red light right after and before had an increased muscle mass comparatively.
- Thyroid Regulation – Hypothyroidism is linked to an increased weight due to an overall decrease in metabolism. Red light inhibits the auto-immune activity in the thyroid, thus preventing any irregular function in the thyroid.
- Reduced Insulin Resistance – If combined with regular exercise and a good diet, light therapy for weight loss does work. It develops insulin resistance which helps to keep the weight on the lower side.
- Improved Sleep – An increased stress level results in weight gain and it’s all due to insufficient sleep. This chronic stress stimulates cortisol production, which leads to increased weight. Red light helps you enhance the quality of sleep, which saves you from multiple other ailments.
- Reduced Inflammation – Low-grade recurring inflammation and cellular stress are found to be linked with obesity. Anti-inflammatory effects of red light therapy support the body against inflammation and its derivative diseases.
Click for price
Red Light therapy and Performance
It has been found that red light therapy causes the fat lipid molecules to be secreted into the bloodstream. Once they are in the bloodstream, they can either be utilized by the body or excreted.
A group of 20 postmenopausal women was studied for light therapy benefits for weight loss and performance enhancement. Both groups exercised on a treadmill for 30 minutes while being exposed to 850nm red light. The activity went on for three months twice a week. The group treated with red light showed an increase in performance by doing a work done of +223 joules compared to +118 joules of the other group.
How Does Light Therapy Help You Lose Weight?
Red light therapy for weight loss is an effective way to lose fat from targeted areas. If you want to target your limbs or torso, expose the area of your body to red light consistently for a few weeks. Once you feel a decrease in the target area’s girth, you may start working on another one to reduce excess fat.
In order for this to happen, here are some of the more scientific ways your body is doing this:
- Bioenergetics – Red light between 600nm and 1000nm stimulates the cells for releasing a copper enzyme. This process results in increased energy production in the cell, which burns more glucose. This leads to a lower stress level, healthy cells, and an improved metabolic rate, which reduces excess body fat.
There might be other processes that increase the metabolic rate, such as the intake of caffeine. These processes are not healthy for the body. Red light therapy has an oxidative metabolism that converts glucose directly into carbon dioxide and involves a healthy metabolism increase. Hens, why we recommend red light therapy for weight loss!
- Blood flow – Not only does red light therapy increase the metabolism, but it also increases the blood flow to the targeted area. This leads to vasodilation (dilation of the blood vessels) and nourishment of cells with glucose and other nutrients. Overall an improved blood circulation is experienced after the light therapy.
This particular property of red light therapy can be used for spot reduction as it can target a specific area for fat loss by providing a localized boost in metabolism.
Red Light Therapy for Fat Reduction
Need more reasons to start incorporating red light therapy into your health routine?
- Save time and money – Buying a red light therapy device for weight loss might seem to be a little heavy on the pocket at first. However, if you calculate, all those visits to the clinic for light therapy would cost you a lot more collectively.
- Safe and natural – Using light therapy at home is a safe and natural process. You don’t have to worry about its side effects as the wavelengths used in light therapy are safe.
- 100% guarantee – Most products come with a good warranty usually, and you can always get a refund if you don’t see any benefits of light therapy for weight loss.
- Easy to use – Light therapy devices are easy to use and are portable as well. If you are thinking of buying one, go ahead as it would make your life easier.
FAQs about Weight Loss from Red Light Therapy
How long does each session take?
Each session takes from 10-20 minutes. Remember to follow the directions and slowly build up your tolerance. You can trigger a lot of detox if you jump in too much too soon.
Can the fat return?
The fat will not come back if you maintain a healthy diet, keep exercising, and have red light therapy sessions every week. But it is just like everything else in this world when it comes down to our bodies, we have to keep them healthy to stay healthy long term. This is not a quick fix.
Where does the fat go?
The fat is burned just like it happens in exercise. However, light therapy is not an alternative to exercise.
How quickly will I see results?
You will see considerable results if you consistently work on it for 50-60 days.
I have a lot of areas I want to remove excess fat. Can I do them all at once?
You can use led panels to target your whole body like the one pictured above. However, handheld devices can target one area at a time. My favorite handheld device is this one:
Click for price
Will it work for everyone?
If you have any complications or sensitivity to red light therapy, you should consult your physician beforehand. Consulting a professional is also a good practice as they can tell you which factors to consider before going for a light therapy session.
Is the process painful?
Not at all. You may feel the warmth in the target area, which is a relaxing experience.
Will it get rid of cellulite?
Light therapy might indirectly affect cellulite. Cellulite is a byproduct of excess fat, and if you lose fat, you lose cellulite.
Is it all worth the while?
Red light therapy for weight loss is an investment in yourself. You will start to feel the benefits within a few weeks, and only then will you realize that it is worth the while.
The scientific evidence and case studies have increased the demand for light therapy for weight loss and other benefits. Whether it’s for healing or losing excess fat and toning your body, the scientific evidence and research make this product worth a shot.