The human body is a miraculous creation. Made up of approximately 100 trillion regenerating cells with a superhuman computing center at the top, it can do almost anything. It pumps blood through 60,000 miles and delivers information all day through heat and pressure centers. It warns of danger, is resilient against disease and can self-heal, self-propel and even self-create new little humans all on its own.
But you know what the human body can’t do?
It can’t create vitamin C.
As humans, we are one of the rare animals that cannot make our own vitamin C. We don’t have the enzyme that converts glucose to vitamin C, which is why we must get this vital nutrient from our diet and supplements through a vitamin C flush.
What Is a Vitamin C Flush?
A Vitamin C flush is also known as an ascorbate flush or vitamin C cleanse. The concept is fairly simple and is based on the belief that high levels of vitamin C help rid the body of toxins.
It just involves introducing high amounts of vitamin C at regular intervals until you produce a watery stool to carry toxins away from the body.
Who Should do a Vitamin C Flush?
A vitamin C flush is one of the fastest working cleanses, so it’s best for those who are looking for rapid detox. It may also be used by those who are sick and looking for a quick recovery despite not responding to other methods of treatment. Any seemingly healthy adult can benefit from a vitamin C cleanse, but it is especially important for those who may be deficient.
Symptoms of vitamin C deficiency may include:
- muscle pain or weakness
- loss of appetite
- bleeding or swollen gums
- sores in your mouth
- unexplained rashes or red spots
What Are the Benefits of a Vitamin C Flush?
Vitamin C is an important nutrient for the body. It is most well-known for boosting the immune system, which is why it’s great for beating a cold. However, it does so much more than that.
- ANTIOXIDANT – Vitamin C is a powerhouse antioxidant and boosts the function of other antioxidants as well, this helps to repair cells and slow the aging process of your cells to create younger-looking skin naturally.
- HEALING – Wounds require collagen to heal completely. Vitamin C is a major player in the creation of collagen and without it, your wounds may not heal completely leading to abnormal tissue repair. A vitamin C boost can help your body repair itself and heal properly.
- JOINT DAMAGE – Because of the effects that vitamin C has on collagen, some clinical trials have shown it is extremely helpful for joints. Specifically, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, a condition of joint hypermobility. Because of its unique ability to help with collagen, Vitamin C plays a major role in maintaining the integrity of connective tissue in the joints.
- STRESS – Yes, Vitamin C can even help with your stress level. Cortisol is the body’s stress hormone and studies have shown Vitamin C can actually reduce this hormone in the body and combat the negative effects of stress.
A vitamin C flush gives the body a boost of vitamin C stores so that your body can use what it needs to leave you refreshed and energized.
How to do a Vitamin C Flush:
A vitamin C flush is one of the simplest cleanses you can benefit from. It doesn’t require any fancy ingredients or tricky concoctions. Anyone can do it from the comfort of their own home. We recommend doing the vitamin C flush on a day when you’ll be comfortable and near a bathroom throughout the day.
- In the morning: First thing in the morning, mix 1000mg of vitamin C in a half a glass of water or fruit juice. After you drink this slowly, you can follow with whatever form of breakfast you’d like. This cleanse is not a liquid-only diet and doesn’t limit you from eating throughout the day.
- One hour later: Repeat with another 1000mg of vitamin C in a half a glass of water or fruit juice.
- Repeat: Every hour, take another 1000mg vitamin C drink. Write down a record of each time you drink, and continue until you feel the urge to use the bathroom.
- Release: Once you pass a very watery-stool, you can stop drinking the vitamin C solution. At this point, the cleanse will take care of itself.
Always remember to stay hydrated during this process by drinking plenty of water and electrolyte beverages.
What is the most recommended product to take?
For the most effective vitamin C flush, experts recommend using a powdered vitamin C in the form of L-ascorbate. This buffered form of vitamin C also contains balancing minerals like potassium, zinc, magnesium, and calcium. This prevents the extreme irritation or inflammation of the stomach lining that can occur if you take straight vitamin C.
- 3Perque Potent C Guard Powder – The Perque Potent powder is one of the most popular products for a vitamin C cleanse because it has the correct balance of electrolytes (potassium, magnesium, and calcium) to create ideal conditions. Get more information and buy now on Amazon.com.
- Potent C Guard includes additives and transporters that enhance the body’s absorption rate and tissue action so you don’t have to worry about unwanted side effects.
- Potent C Guard actually tastes great too and when mixed with water or juice creates a “slightly effervescent beverage.”
- Made with an exclusive triple re-crystallization process to increase bioactivity and purity.
Many users of Potent C started with a cleanse and continued with regular use of smaller doses to maintain their health. One reviewer on Amazon said, “My own journey towards reversing auto-immune disease and malfunction has taken a radical turn for the better after using Potent C Guard and I HIGHLY recommend this product to EVERYONE. Not only does is help your body dump toxins and DRAMATICALLY reduce systemic inflammation when you’re already battling sickness/disease, but it’s my go-to “medicine” if I start to feel a little fatigue or allergy symptoms etc. instead of conventional drugs (and I feel better faster!). After two months of C Guard, I have been completely without medications (the long term effects of which were nerve-wracking) and I feel AMAZING for the first time in my life. Thank you, Perque!!”
With 140 positive reviews on Amazon and an overall rating of 4.5 stars, it’s clear that the Perque Potent is a popular choice for vitamin C cleansers. Get further details and buy now on Amazon.com.
- Life Extension Buffered Vitamin C Powder – The Life Extension brand is similar to Perque, containing the same minerals to help with transport and protect the stomach from the harsh acidity of the vitamin C. Get more information and buy now on Amazon.com.
- It provides a reduced-acid solution that is non-irritating to the stomach and intestinal lining.
- The minerals included also make it taste better.
- Create a fizzy drink when it is mixed with water.
There are several uses for this in addition to a full Vitamin C cleanse, two reviewers on Amazon have found this powder useful for their whole family:
“This Vitamin C is recommended by my doctor because it is safe for people with gastritis and GERD. And it has been proven safe when I consume it. It does not irritate my stomach and has a dose that is high enough to increase my body’s immunity. I really love this vitamin and will buy it again. This is the second bottle I have consumed.”
“My 5-year-old was staying sick and missing so much school. My mom is a nurse and gave me a bottle of this and told me, since he was young, to give a 1/2 tsp. at least once a day but better twice a day. My son missed 2 or 3 days the whole year in 1st grade versus about 25 days in kindergarten.”
You can get more information at Amazon.com.
- Pure Encapsulations – Buffered Ascorbic Acid – If you don’t want to hassle with mixing the powder and drinking the vitamin C solution, you can also get the same effect in capsules. These capsules from Pure Encapsulations give the same benefits of a vitamin C solution in a slightly easier to swallow form. You can get more information and buy now on Amazon.com.
- Great for sensitive stomachs because it delivers the same combined minerals to create a neutral pH.
- Pure Encapsulations are meticulously formulated using only pure ingredients for predictable results
- Free from wheat, gluten, egg, peanuts, magnesium stearate, hydrogenated fat, artificial sweeteners and colors, and other unnecessary additives.
Over 80 percent of the customer reviews give Pure Encapsulations a 5-star rating. The Pure brand has 30 years in the industry of providing supplements with only the finest ingredients, and it shows in the satisfaction of its customers.
One reviewer said, “I have finally found a vitamin c product that works for me. It’s gentle on my body; I don’t get the side pain I used to get from taking a very popular natural brand and it does not cause any stomach upset. I can take it on an empty stomach without any problems.”
Experts generally recommend a vitamin C flush be done with a powder so it can be absorbed more easily. However, if you can’t handle drinking the solution, capsules can be used as a last resort. You can read more positive reviews, get more information and buy now on Amazon.com.
Disclaimer: It is important to note these statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This product is not meant to diagnose‚ treat or cure any disease or medical condition and if you have any concerns you should consult your doctor.
Important Tips for a Vitamin C Flush
Starting the Cleanse: We recommend starting the cleanse in the morning. This isn’t necessary, but it ensures you’ll have the opportunity to complete the bowel movements during the day without having to wake up in the middle of the night.
After the Cleanse: It’s important not to quit vitamin C cold turkey. If you do, you’re at risk for rebound scurvy, which is rare, but possible. Once you have created a watery stool and you’ve stopped drinking the Vitamin C drink, it’s time to work backward. This is why we recommend writing down how much you took, and how often. This serves as a guideline for weaning off your vitamin C cleanse. Your bowel tolerance is equal to the total amount of vitamin C you took before a bowel movement. After the day of your cleanse, take 75 percent of what you consumed the previous day until you reach 1000mg total per day, which you can continue to take as long as you’d like for maintaining ideal levels of vitamin C.
Side Effects: A vitamin C cleanse is perfectly safe. You don’t have to worry about vitamin C toxicity, because it is a water-soluble nutrient, and your body will simply excrete any excess through bowel movements. However, there are some side effects to be aware of.
- Because of bowel movements, you may experience dehydration so drink water throughout the process and feel free to add extra electrolytes.
- Bloating, gas, heartburn and stomach discomfort are all common side effects.
- Conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome or inflammatory bowel disease may hamper the absorption of vitamin C from the gut.
- If you suffer from Gilbert’s disease or any form of hepatitis, avoid a vitamin C flush completely.
How Often Should I do a Vitamin C Flush?
You can do a flush as often as you feel necessary. Some people will do a vitamin C flush every month, particularly during cold and flu season – but this is usually unnecessary. A few times a year is a good schedule to maintain optimum levels of vitamin C in the body.
Will Vitamin C Fix Constipation?
In the short term, yes – a vitamin C cleanse will clean out your bowel. However, it’s not the best long term solution for constipation. Instead, look at your diet, your fiber intake, stress levels, and other factors that may be contributing to your constipation. If constipation is an issue, there are other supplements to consider that may be more effective in the long run than vitamin C.
- Magnesium Citrate – Magnesium is a mineral that is critical for energy production and metabolism. It encourages muscle contraction, which often causes bowel movements regularly.
- Psyllium Husk Powder: Husk Powder is a fine-textured organic product high in natural fiber made for mixing in your food or beverages. It is very absorbent and promotes regularity and overall digestive health.
- Smooth Move Tea: This herbal tea promotes relieves occasional constipation with the combination of Senna, a laxative herb and peppermint for extra digestive support. Best taken at bedtime for regular mornings. This same formula is also available as a capsule if you want the benefits of herbal tea without the slightly bitter taste of Senna.
Giving Your Body What it Can’t Give You
Vitamin C is a critical nutrient for your body, but it’s up to you to make sure you’re getting enough. Sadly, our food supply contains less and less vitamin C making it hard to get the daily recommendation from diet alone. And no, drinking more orange juice is not the solution. Many of the food processing, harvesting, and artificial ripening of our produce is limiting our vitamin C.
This powerhouse vitamin can protect us from a wide range of immune diseases from the common cold to cancer, but it’s up to us to make sure we are getting what we need to give our bodies a critical boost. And one of the best ways to do this is through a vitamin C flush!